Friday, June 24, 2011

Adventures in Serging!

For the first anniversary, the theme is supposed to be paper. I adhered to this theme by getting Art paper tickets - to the season opener of Ohio State Football this year! Of course, when I bought the tickets, OSU still had its star player and coach, so the dynamics of the game have certainly changed, but we're still excited!!
Anyway, I married a man who had never heard of "themes" for wedding gifts, and he bought me the opposite of paper - a SERGER!!!! The man is gifted, truly.


This machine has sat on my sewing table for approximately two months without any use. It's complicated. It's scary. And I barely even know what it does.

Correction: I barely knew. I totally know now.

The user DVD is older than me and doesn't even work on a Mac, so with some help from my friend Andrea I found some user guides on YouTube and elsewhere. In about 10 minutes, I had the thing up and running. It's fairly simple, really. It's like a sewing machine in that it loops threads around until a really fancy knot is tied, but a serger prevents fraying on the edges and cuts off the excess fabric while doing it. If you're wearing a knit garment right now, chances are the inside seams are serged.

And yesterday I finished serged ruffles... for baby butts.


Look at those baby butt ruffles!!

Here's a closeup of the serged ends of the ruffles:


And here's another closeup:

The front of the diaper cover:

And what it looks like with the matching dress:
   

Sorry, you'll have to turn your head. I forgot to edit the photo before I posted!!
This outfit is surely to make this little girl happy:

I sent away all my Lily clothes (minus the airplane booties, more about that later) yesterday!
I love my serger!

1 comment:

Momma said...

Put that hat in the picture! What a great outfit! You are the most talented child everrrrrr! Ok yes I'm your Momme but still... Seriously... I absolutely love it! Yay Auntie Amy!