Sunday, March 4, 2012

Baptism by fire

I knew this was coming. I consider myself a pretty intelligent person, and I don't think I am by any means naive or blaise. However, when it comes to managing ourhome, I'm a sous chef at best. I don't have a very active role in the finances and day-to-day operations of Casa del Toro.

There are 2 reasons for this. The first is Art and my personalities. I am a procrastinator. I wait until just before there is an emergency to do anything about a situation. It's why I excelled in journalism. As I type this, my lesson plans aren't complete for tomorrow. I never really studied for a test (except the PRAXIS) before the 23rd hour. It's not my favorite part of my personality, but it is something I'm aware of and try to work with. Art, on the other hand, is a planner. And at the risk of causing all suffragists to wail in despair, we take on pretty traditional roles in our home. I'm just not the head of the household. Art is. I'm the partner, worth just as much, but not the CEO. I hope that makes sense.

The other reason is that Art lived by himself, home and vehicle ownership and all, for 3+ years before we got married. You know what I was busy doing? Going to college for 6 years. This isn't an exercise in putting myself down, but it just took me longer to figure out my path in life than it did Art. I'm very lucky he is willing to share all his hard work with me. But it does put me behind the power curve.

The point of all this? Art's gone for a while, leaving me with all the responsibilities of the house. He gave me a rundown on what I needed to know, and he's sometimes available by email. I'm now responsible for paying the bills, renting our current house, closing on our new house, communicating with the realtors, appraisers, underwriters, etc., securing movement for our vehicles, talking with the movers, etc. etc. etc. etc. And it's overwhelming.

Feel sorry for me yet? NO, of course you don't. This is what EVERYONE has to deal with. Most married people don't have to do it on their own, however, but all military wives do. I've been so fortunate to have almost two full years with my husband home for dinner every night. This is not something that military wives have the luxury of. I feel very lucky, and I know that this honeymoon is surely coming to an end once we get to California and have to deal with a deployment schedule.

So, for now, I'm keeping super organized with a reminders list on my fancy iPad, to make sure all the bills get paid and a house gets purchased. Thank goodness for my parents. My mom, for emotional support and venting, Mikey, for practical advice and construction expertise, and my dad, for all things legal and renovation, and for reading complicated paperwork when I am too overwhelmed to tackle it all. I am really, really lucky to have such great people to help me out when my #1 is away!

No comments: