Tuesday, February 21, 2012

New Toy!

Remember last summer when I went on math deployment to San Angelo?

No? Let me rephrase: Remember when everything that could possibly go wrong with my car went wrong? And I had to have it towed? Twice?

Well, that experience has paid off! The reason why I went up there for those two weeks, and then about once a month since, is because I was part of the Texas Regional Math Collaborative, a state grant out of our regional Education Service Center. Because of all my car troubles, I didn't really have time to post about what I was actually learning. Basically, it was an extension of what I did in my teacher prep at UD, although it was a lot more hands-on. We had some great speakers that really put us in the position of the students. I experienced a lot of the same troubles that students go through when learning math, which I think is crucial to teaching. I wish more people from my district had taken advantage of the opportunity. (There were just two of us!)

Anyway, our last meeting was scheduled for May. The group was supposed to get together and have a nice long lunch, turn in our paperwork, and chat about how to improve the grant for next year. Obviously, I won't be making that May date (because I'll be living in California!! Yippeeeeee!!), so I scheduled a meeting with the director for today.

I love San Angelo. Really, I'm not Texas' biggest fan in general. I'm a down-home country girl from the 'burbs, and the Texas vibe has just never suited me. But, I really do like San Angelo. It might be because there's a Starbucks and a Target and a Hobby Lobby and a BWs. I might just be that materialistic. But I do think that it gave me a more authentic view of what Texas is like in places other than the borderland where I've spent the majority of my time. I've loved going there and I'll really miss it.

BUT, in celebration of the end of the grant, the service center decided to say a big thank you to the participants and give us...

AN IPAD!!!

I never would have bought an iPad on my own. Not that they aren't cool, but I have a laptop and a phone, and those pretty much cover my technology needs. But when someone just hands me one, shoot... I'll take it!! Of course, there is a tradeoff, as my husband puts it...

"Great, now you're never going to talk to me, once you have Pinterest in HD."

Gulp.

No comments: