Thursday, April 26, 2012

Things we've done..

We closed on Rawlings! Yippee!! After a brief moment of buyer's remorse (What have we done?? I barely know how to hang drywall, how am I supposed to renovate a whole house??), we are back to being really excited. It's strange, we've only been in the house for four days, and we're sleeping on an air mattress and living out of suitcases, but it already feels like home. Floors are our their way, and painting commences tomorrow! Here's a little rundown on how we've spent our time:


We took lots of walks from the hotel to the house, wondering who that was parked in our driveway:

We "broke" into the backyard, Peanut chased a tennis ball, and I wondered what kind of landscaping would make the house look less like a prison:

We learned that rattlesnakes are in our neighborhood. I unexpectedly learned that I'd rather have rattlesnakes near a pond than scorpions in my curtains.

We ate sushi. A lot of sushi. Cuz we can.

We saw sheep.

We found a Mexican restaurant made totally of sunflowers!

We sampled some local beer (and wine!):

We saw more sheep.

Peanut decided he liked sheep.

Art got punched in the head at a thai restaurant.

Twice.

I tried to learn about "undertones."

I live in wine country, and still prefer $3 wine.

I made a quilt top!

We went to beautiful, breathtaking Napa.

Once we finally got into the house, I quickly realized that it looks eerily like my parents house in Ohio.

On day 2, we begun demo! Goodbye weird mantel/desk/particle-board-nailed-to-the-baseboards

Art got his aggression out by kicking down said mantel.

See? Nailed into the baseboards.

Boom. See ya.

Peanut asked to go home.

And hid.

Our painters arrived, commenting on how weird the previous homeowner was, and also how crappy of a job Fannie Mae did hiding the crazy. They started fixing all the ate up walls!

And the house just kept getting weirder. We found this...

And this...

And... this...

Before the painters came, we had the superfun project of taking everything off the walls... outlet covers, light fixtures, blinds, and all. Art wasn't home, so I took the power drill and went to down. I noticed one of the outlets was upside down, with the ground on the top, and that bugged me. I grabbed it, tried to turn it, and ZAP. Apparently those things have an electrical charge. I quit, and Art thankfully finished the job when he got home.

So, among the many things we've done since moving in, we also learned not to stick your fingers in a light socket. I wish someone would have told me that.

No comments: