Saturday, October 29, 2011

More Air Force news!! :)

I know I have some readers who were linked here because of the Air Force connection, and admittedly I blog very little about our life in the Air Force.

Why, you ask?

Because, every time Art gets a set of orders, they say Laughlin Air Force Base, Texas. It's happened three times now.

 Casual status... Laughlin. 

UPT... Laughlin. 

PIT... Randolph (a whopping 3 hours from Laughlin). 

FAIP... Laughlin.

Acronym check: UPT, undergraduate pilot training. PIT, pilot instructor training. FAIP, first assignment instructor pilot.

In short, it hasn't been that exciting, or that Air-Force-esque. Art goes to work in the morning and comes home for dinner every night, except for a few weekends when he's cross country. When I think of military life, that's not really the situation I think of.

It's got me pretty spoiled, actually. But since we now have our B-1 assignment, a set of orders that DOESN'T say Laughlin, that's all about to change.

When I posted about our B-1 assignment, I mentioned that we were still waiting on word from the U-2 squadron to see if Art could fly that airplane instead. Since the U-2 guys came to an air show here in Del Rio about a year ago, it's all the man has talked about. The B-1 news was exciting, overwhelmingly exciting, but I knew a little part of Art (and a big part of me) was still holding out hope that an email would show up asking Art to interview for the U-2.

Well... IT DID!!!!!!!

Last week Art received word that they were interested in interviewing him sometime in the next few months. Several people from Laughlin have been hired recently, so we are hoping that his reputation and superior flying skills (my words, of course) will speak for themselves.

He has not gotten the job yet and would kill me if I started talking about how awesome California is and how it's always been a dream of mine to live there and how PERFECT of an assignment it would be for both of us. So I won't.

BUT this is fantastic news for our little family and I totally believe he will kill this interview. I certainly will post if and when that happens! :)

No comments: