Sunday, October 2, 2011

WE HAVE AN ASSIGNMENT!!




I really wanted to post about our Dodge Journey adventure before this, but it seems crazy to me that I've waited this long to post about our next assignment! We have been waiting for this news for... count them... FOUR AND A HALF YEARS now, and last weekend, while we were in Lexington for my dear friend Erin's wedding, we got the call.

Ready, people?

Art will be flying the B-1 (pictured above), and we are moving to Dyess AFB in Abilene, Texas!! This may not seem like exciting news, especially for those of you who don't know much about the drop process, but it IS! Yes, I'm going to be a Texan for another (unknown) amount of time. BUT, Abilene, is a much bigger town, about the size of Dayton, and the B-1 was our first choice on the dream sheet. So, this was incredible news and we are so blessed.

So, what does the B-1 do, exactly? It does two really really cool things:


1. It breaks the sound barrier. (Confession: I can't really grasp what that even means. Looks neat!)


2. It rains hate. Serious. Hate.

I'm so proud of my husband. It truly feels like finally, finally, he is getting something he really deserves for all of his tireless work. I am so glad that he's being recognized for being amazing at his job and I feel so blessed and lucky to be by his side.

And... I'm gonna say it... I feel so blessed and lucky to be MOVING. Bring on the Starbucks and the Targets and the highways and the Michael's and the diversity and the sushi and the non-Walmart grocery and everything else that's in Abilene that isn't in Del Rio. I'm EXCITED!! We don't know any dates yet, but April-May timeframe is the best guess at this point. Unless something crazy happens and we leave way earlier than that, I'll still be finishing the school year with my kiddos. And I'm definitely going to sob uncontrollably on the last day of school. So I have that to look forward to.


We are still waiting to hear back from the U-2 squadron. The U-2 is a special request assignment that Art is still eligible for. It's truly the plane he's dying to fly, but since it's not on the dream sheet, we put B-1s first. The U-2 squadron is just outside of Sacramento, California, so there is still a chance (we are really really hoping!) that we will go there instead.

But lemme tell ya, if we don't get the U-2, we already have our second choice, and it's a pretty splendid place to be. I am loving life!

1 comment:

Caiti said...

I cannot believe he flies those things! But how exciting for you guys! I am glad you are returning to the world of Target and Starbucks!